"I have loved football as an almost mythic game since I was in the fourth grade. To me, the game wasn't even grounded in reality. The uniform turned you into a warrior. Being on a team, the mythology of physical combat, the struggle against the elements, the narrative of the game..." ~ Steve Sabol (NFL Films)

Thursday, February 16, 2023

L’émission Spéciale Blue Light des Alouettes de Montréal

Attention aux acheteurs de Kmart. La vente des Alouettes de Montréal a maintenant commencé. L’offre de départ, c’est un dollar Canadien!

This lone hat represents all that is wrong
with the CFL, for it was the only one I
could find in the entire city during my
vacation there in November 2022.

Free agency began on the same day, ironically, that the news of the owners of the former Baltimore Stallions had given back the keys of the front office and ownership to Randy and the league office, As noted by the Ottawa Sun, "You have to admire Randy Ambrosie’s sense of comedic timing..."

No shit! And as much as I hate to admit somethings, perhaps the folks at XFL Conspiracy Hub might just have a real story of not just one, but two iconic cities ready to embrace The Rock and all his billions he and Red Bird promise. However, as much I hate to even think of the league becoming a northern division of a continental spring/summer league, as noted in my previous Kmart themed essay two years ago, the reality is that the commissioner and league owners have done ZERO to right this ship. 

When it comes to this often-visited topic, all I can say is that I don't want to hear how gambling is going to save the league, because it's not. No, what is going to save it is some serious come from behind marketing like what we seem to be seeing with my favorite team, British Columbia (however, for me the jury still remains out). Clearly, as noted by 3rd Down Nation, CFL attendance continues to struggle; however, attendance is a symptom of a much much larger issue, and that is why I write this in the hopes that someone in one of these organizations chooses to lead the herd away from sure fire destruction.

Let's go back to the Als cap in this post, which is mine and one that I found in an obscure souvenir shop in Old Montreal during the opening round of the Grey Cup playoffs and bought, despite the protests of my wife. It literally was the only hat or Als apparel that I could find with the current logo. In the second largest city, I could not find one shirt, sweatshirt, scarf, knit cap, coat, or anything else of the greatest team in all of French Canada.  Yet, I could easily find Expos and NFL gear, fricking everywhere!

Hey Randy, the time is now to either resign or step up and be a real leader with this league and make it as close to major league as you can. Where are the video games? Where is CFL Films, the CFL Network, CFL Properties, and all the other things do and use to generate fan interest. Where is the smartphone app? Oh wait, there is none! At least not for my iPhone here in Japan... 

What I am trying to say in all this, is that time is running out every day for Randy and the eight owners. Should the XFL be successful in my home country, then the CFL could conceivably be done in. Be it a defection by the Lions and Argos to the XFL, or just flat out closing the doors of all the teams and selling the scraps to Red Bird, just like Vince did a couple years ago. Either way, the time to save the league is really here this year and, much like Kmart, is very much becoming, with each passing day, a relic of a bygone era...

No comments:

Post a Comment